A Brief History of Carmel School, Dhanbad
On 9th January 1956, Carmel School, Dhanbad Started with a strength of only 30 children and has come a long way to its present strength of about 2000 girls. In keeping with the suggestion of Father Sharpe S.J, parish priest of Dhanbad. Mother Violette, superior of Carmel Convent, Digwadih and Sr. Terese started the primary wing at Lindsay Club Hirapur. This was shifted 3 months later to the Indian School of Mines, under the supervision of Principal Sr. Leonora. In April 1959, the land on which the school stands today was purchased.
The high school section was started in 1969. In 1970, the school got affiliated to the Council for Indian School Certificate (CISCE) later for the I.S.C examinations (1993).
In 1981, the school celebrated its Silver Jubilee.
In 1990 anther page was added to the golden history of Carmel School, when the present +2 building came up.
In February, 2011, a new block for the Primary Section was added.
A Brief History of the Apostolic Carmel
The Congregation of the Apostolic Carmel took birth at Bayonne, France in 1868, when Mother Veronica of the Passion, founded the Congregation. She did so, in response to the divine call, experienced by her through prayer and the growing realization of God’s all sufficing love, to serve the Christian community on the West Coast of India by giving a Christian education to the young girls of the region.
Mother Veronica’s life was full of trails and hardships. But her pioneering spirit, courage, dedication and complete faith in God’s love and help, and her divine vocation helped and strengthened her to undergo all hardship, to make her dream a reality.
The daughter of a Protestant Pastor, she embraced the Catholic faith which brought bitter opposition from her family. But her courage and faith in God were not shaken. In response to the call of God to lead the life of a religious, she broke off her engagement to a young sailor, to enter the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in 1851. When in prayer she experienced the call to Carmel, a congregation of cloistered sisters, she again made a difficult choice of leaving her Congregation to join the Carmel of Pau. Again it was terribly difficult for her to leave the peace and happiness of the cloister to set about the task of founding a new Carmelite Congregation for India.
The need for the Third Order was very urgent, because in those days education was meant only for boys in India which brought great dissatisfaction to the Indian women, who cried out for knowledge and the light of education. So God in his infinite wisdom chose Mother Veronica to realize this objective. Together with Father Marie Ephrem, a Carmelite who had come as a missionary to serve the Indians.
She founded the Congregation of the Apostolic Carmel in Bayonne, France. But God’s will for her was different. She was denied the privilege of coming to India as a sister of the Apostolic Carmel. The final decision to end her days in the anonymity and silence of Carmel was again made in response to God’s will. When the Apostolic Carmel was established in Mangalore she left the Congregation her spirit, the profound urge to do good and serve the masses through apostolic work.
The pioneering spirit made itself felt from time to time in the Congregation, when there was need for higher education for women of South Kanara, it was the Apostolic Carmel that started the first Women’s College in this region in 1921. The same need in Bihar was satisfied by the Starting of Patna Women’s College. The Apostolic Carmel extended its mission to Ceylon in 1922 and to North India in 1940. The work of the sisters has been mainly limited to the running of Schools, and Colleges though in various regions it has branched out into social work. Today there are over 180 institutions of the Congregation- Schools, Colleges and Orphanages. Mother Veronica’s work lives in the 1600 sisters who serve God and his people throughout India.